[LinuxBIOS] New LAR access functions

Peter Stuge peter at stuge.se
Thu Jul 12 18:21:37 CEST 2007

On Thu, Jul 12, 2007 at 09:27:49AM -0600, Jordan Crouse wrote:
> > I agree. That's why lar should know about flash chip sector sizes.
>
> This is probably best - lar is best suited for doing the math and
> making sure that the blobs are written out in the right format.
> Somewhat safer then making flashrom rearrange the bits later.

I agree. But..

> I'm thinking that we could probably get away with someting simple
> like a -S <sector size> option, and LAR would would arrange the
> archive correctly, and then write the sector size along with the
> total ROM size in the "bootblock header".

..flash doesn't always have uniform sector sizes. E.g. SST49LF080A
http://www.sst.com/downloads/datasheet/S71235.pdf which has 16*4kb at
the bottom and 15*64kb for the rest. It would be nice to be able to
use those 16*4kb sectors for different things and not always need to
treat them as a single 64kb sector. -S is a great start though.

> > And/or flashrom about larballs.
>
> flashrom should at the very least know how to read a lar and make
> sure it is sane.  If we include the sector size from above, then
> flashrom could do some very basic sanity checking before starting.

The real fun begins when larball has one sector size and flash chip
another, and we only want to replace a single larfile.

//Peter