[LinuxBIOS] New LAR access functions

Peter Stuge peter at stuge.se
Thu Jul 12 19:49:52 CEST 2007

On Thu, Jul 12, 2007 at 07:42:42PM +0200, Stefan Reinauer wrote:
> * Peter Stuge <peter at stuge.se> [070712 19:12]:
> > I dislike flashrom for this mostly because it basically needs all of
> > lar, re other flashers they can always flash the complete image and
> > be done.
>
> I agree. But it seems a bit nasty. Either flash chip knowledge in
> lar, or lar knowledge in flashrom. Both is not very nice.

I honestly think it's an awesome feature, never before seen (by me)
in any bootloader flash tools.

But that's no reason to put _all_ of lar in flashrom. I do think they
can and should share some code, but they still need to be separate
tools. Ie. flashrom will use lar code to read larballs but never
anything to write them. Maybe liblar?

> > The KISS approach may be the best;
>
> In case lar is in the path, flashrom could be told to run lar with
> the options for the user, just asking the user whether he really
> wants to continue (with a no warranty clause printed in capital
> letters ;)

Yes, definately. Good idea. As long as flashrom doesn't go flashing
even if lar fails it's all good!

//Peter