[LinuxBIOS] DIMM Page Size

Peter Stuge peter at stuge.se
Fri Jul 13 13:24:02 CEST 2007

On Fri, Jul 13, 2007 at 12:38:02PM +0200, Stefan Reinauer wrote:
> > > 			dra = ((page_size / 8) >> 10);
> >
> > Please don't use bit shifting for multiplication and division.
>
> I think this is a bad dogma. Using shifts for mul/div is pretty
> obvious to understand and almost courteous.

Or it's human adapting to machine rather than the other way around.

Personally, I adapted long ago so I like shifts too, but not
everyone does. It touches on "Encapsulate and isolate assembly
language" in the coding guidelines.

RAM init is many bits back and forth anyway though, so if we need
to pick just one piece of code where it's OK, that would be it.

//Peter