[LinuxBIOS] A new mother board is required, and I want it to run Linux BIOS

Chris Lingard chris at stockwith.co.uk
Sun Jul 15 16:32:49 CEST 2007

I have the following expendable computer, and would like to take it as
an opportunity to be involved with Linux BIOS.  I can program, but have
no experience with a BIOS, so now is a good time to start.

AMD Athlon 64 3700+ Socket 754 1Mb L2
Asus K8V SE deluxe motherboard

http://www.asus.com/search.aspx?searchitem=1&searchkey=K8V+SE

The box is three years old and smoke damaged.  I would want to buy a new
case, power supply and mother board anyway.

I have read the archives and the source code and find that this ASUS
board is unlikely to be supported, but this does not matter.

It would be nice if a could reuse the socket 754 Athlon 64;  it would be
wonderful if I could reuse the two sticks of 512Mb DDR PC3200 memory,
(though I am pretty sure it had just blown yet another memory card).
Everything else on the machine is standard PC stuff.

Can you suggest a supported mother board?  I would like to be involved
with your system.  I already build Linux from scratch, so it would be
great if the BIOS was built from source too.  A Tyan is too expensive
for me at the moment, the machine being a "fun" second computer to build
and experiment on.

Chris Lingard