[LinuxBIOS] we're getting there

ron minnich rminnich at gmail.com
Sun Jul 15 21:30:48 CEST 2007

2 interesting news items.

First, Intel is now on the board of OLPC:
http://news.digitaltrends.com/news/story/13569/intel_joins_olpc_board.
Speculation is that Intel would like to see an OLPC built with Intel
hardware. To pull this off, however, Intel would have to either
provide a totally open source bios, or help get one made for a
hypothetical Intel-based OLPC. I doubt there is going to be a totally
open source  EFI on an Intel-based OLPC, so what is Intel going to do?
It seems to me that Intel has just endorsed the concept of a full open
source BIOS. Does it really matter which one it is? No, because the
same day that source is released for the OLPC chipset, that source can
be used for a linuxbios port.

Second, you will see in the June 2007 linux journal, page 14, that
putting linuxbios in place of a closed bios is item #10 on the top 10
list of things for Dell to do. Yeah, we're no higher than 10, but hey,
we placed!

We're getting there!

thanks

ron