[LinuxBIOS] V3 fallback, failover, and the normal boot flag.

Peter Stuge peter at stuge.se
Wed Jul 18 03:05:47 CEST 2007

On Wed, Jul 18, 2007 at 01:35:49AM +0200, Stefan Reinauer wrote:
> > linuxbios can CLEAR the boot normal, but the only thing that
> > should set it is a payload. This is very conservative behaviour,
> > but I think it's correct.
> It definitely is, since linuxbios itself has no shell or other
> interface to recover easily from such a case.

It's the only correct behavior.

> But since many payloads don't do this correctly, should this be a
> config option?

Not payload, the OS. Maybe even the application. I say teach lxbios
how to set the completed flag if it doesn't already know and move the
problem to where it belongs - userspace and init scripts.

> So let's use our modules and try to emulate a normal/fallback
> behavior for now.

That feels broken, I'd rather have LB boot fallback forever.

Also re CMOS checksum, I would like if LB could avoid clobbering the
CMOS, for when switching back and forth with another BIOS.

Writing LB CMOS bytes would be done after the final switch.