[LinuxBIOS] V3 fallback, failover, and the normal boot flag.

Carl-Daniel Hailfinger c-d.hailfinger.devel.2006 at gmx.net
Wed Jul 18 16:13:24 CEST 2007

On 18.07.2007 13:15, Stefan Reinauer wrote:
> * Carl-Daniel Hailfinger <c-d.hailfinger.devel.2006 at gmx.net> [070718 12:43]:
>> Hm. Can we abuse ACPI to do that? Like accessing SystemCMOS from a
>> _INI function?
>
> Possibly. But ACPI is running very early in the game. Where would we
> hook it up?
>
> This would also establish ACPI as a pretty hard requirement. There
> should be an alternative, too.

It seems there is even a specification FAQ how to do it with Windows:
http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/resources/respec/specs/simp_bios.mspx
For the real spec, see
http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/resources/respec/specs/simp_boot.mspx
or google for "sbf21.doc". I have not read the real spec because I
didn't want to agree to their LA.

> Using ACPI here would be nicely transparent though, hiding firmware
> specifics in the firmware code. I like that approach.

Since I just discovered the Microsoft approach, I doubt we would want
to invent our own mechanism.

Regards,
Carl-Daniel