[LinuxBIOS] Linuxbios hardware compatibility

Corey Osgood corey.osgood at gmail.com
Mon Jul 23 22:12:22 CEST 2007

Peter Stuge wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 23, 2007 at 04:40:14PM +0200, Matteo.Merli at servicesolutions.spx.com wrote:
>
>> Step 1: A very brief description of your system: CPU and mainboard
>> and optionally other important details.
>> PC based portable device with Intel Celeron 800MHz 0 cache CPU, Intel
>> 915GM north bridge and Intel ICH6-M south bridge
>>

> The problem is the northbridge. There is work in progress for 810/855
> but the 915 is unchartered territory. In general recent Intel
> northbridges aren't supported. There has not been documentation
> available. If you have documentation and would be willing to help add
> support that would be most welcome.

Intel 910/915 datasheet is available from intel's website:
http://www.intel.com/design/chipsets/915g/documentation915g.htm
No BIOS programmer's guide, but I don't know if Intel even makes such a
thing.

The i810 mostly works, but it won't do you much good, the two chips are
like apples and oranges, and I think the 855 is also sdram-only, so it'd
be the same deal. A better place to start would probably be the intel
e7520 or e7525, which are both somewhat similar server chips, but not
the same. I looked into this about a month ago, but I decided to get a
different board instead, since it lacks core 2 duo support. The
southbridge may just work with the generic i82801xx with the correct
driver structs added, but I haven't gotten into the datasheets for
anything beyond ich5. SMBus routines should work at the very least.

-Corey