[LinuxBIOS] Can't boot from IDE on vt8237r

Corey Osgood corey.osgood at gmail.com
Thu Jul 26 11:25:50 CEST 2007

Peter Stuge wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 26, 2007 at 01:59:45AM -0400, Corey Osgood wrote:
>
>> The cn700/vt8237r is almost working,
>>

> Cool!
>
>> @line 259:
>> In vt8237r_enable ffff ffff.
>> Disabling static device: PCI: 00:0f.0
>> In vt8237r_enable ffff ffff.
>> Disabling static device: PCI: 00:0f.1
>>
>> why? [..] It looks like bad device numbers
>>

> The devices are disabled by LB because of the 0xffff VID.
>
> Theory: Some bit needs to be set somewhere in order to have the IDE
> PCI device actually exist and return anything meaningful?

Duh, that makes perfect sense. I forgot that I was trying to disable
SATA and move IDE to dev f.0, and didn't get it right, so both devices
were borked during pre-ram. Then they were re-enabled during
vt8237r_enable, which is why they showed up later. Fixed now.

>> find_ide_controller: found PCI IDE controller 1106:0571 prog_if=0x8a
>> find_ide_controller: primary channel: compatibility mode
>> find_ide_controller: cmd_base=0x1f0 ctrl_base=0x3f4
>> Detected floating bus
>> No drive detected on IDE channel 0
>> devopen: failed to open ide
>>

> You could also try using my FILO IDE patch with the debugging
> suggested in my message, it may provide some more debugging hints:
>
> http://www.linuxbios.org/pipermail/linuxbios/2007-May/021586.html

Still no dice, doesn't seem to give any extra info (with your patch and
debugging). New log file attached, FILO can now find an SATA drive
(formatted in reiserfs, which I didn't include support for in FILO). IDE
is still showing up as a floating bus. Oh, and please ignore the "sda"
stuff, I didn't bother fixing it before rebuilding FILO, I know now that
usb is called ud*.

Thanks,
Corey