[LinuxBIOS] GA-M57SLI - Nvidia X Server

john selmys at lotuspond.ca
Sun Jul 29 04:42:23 CEST 2007

On 07/25/2007 12:10 PM, john wrote:
> Ok, I tried the free NV driver and it's running, but I still have a
> problem - I have no login screen! I can ssh -X to my LB machine and
> run X programs remotely but my expensive LCD monitor on my LB machine
> is black (no signal).
> I suspect I have missed some silly config option somewhere.
>
> John
> =======
Silly me. A friend pointed out that the monitor section in xorg.conf was
set to use the VGA input of my monitor. I had my video card connected to
the DVI-D input of the monitor. Once I connected the cable to the proper
port, X came up perfectly.
So now my LinuxBIOS is working. Still I have some observations:
1. Nvidia proprietary driver does not work, however NV works well enough
for my purposes.
2. I've lost cpu frequency control (no powernow-k8) so now both my CPUs
are running flat out at 3000 MHz. Core temperatures are hovering just
below 70C (63C and 67C).
3. I now can load kvm_amd (without locking up my system) and use
hardware acceleration to speed up my virtual machines.

John
=========