[LinuxBIOS] Can we provide BIOS service base on the Linux BIOS

Peter Stuge peter at stuge.se
Sun Jul 29 16:14:03 CEST 2007

On Sun, Jul 29, 2007 at 03:16:00PM +0200, Stefan Reinauer wrote:
> * Rasmus Wiman <rasmus at wiman.org> [070729 14:49]:
> > Just curious... How about software that runs "on top of"
> > Linuxbios?
>
> The payload is "loaded" from an "archive" or "filesystem" by
> LinuxBIOS and thus does not have to be released under GPL because
> it is used with LinuxBIOS.

LB is distinct from the payload, they are two separate works.

--8<-- COPYING, just before section 3
In addition, mere aggregation of another work not based on the Program
with the Program (or with a work based on the Program) on a volume of
a storage or distribution medium does not bring the other work under
the scope of this License.
-->8--

Can a single file (LB+payload) be considered a volume of storage or a
distribution medium? I suppose so.

//Peter