[LinuxBIOS] RD1 BIOS Savior [was Re: No known linux compatable BIOS programmer ?]

Peter Stuge stuge-linuxbios at cdy.org
Tue Jun 5 19:56:10 CEST 2007

On Mon, Jun 04, 2007 at 08:42:56PM +0200, Luc Verhaegen wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 04, 2007 at 05:39:37PM +0200, Peter Stuge wrote:
> > On Sat, Jun 02, 2007 at 03:29:08PM -0400, Jeremy Jackson wrote:
> > > Sorry to jump in a bit late here, but for parallel flash, what
> > > about using a NIC with a boot ROM socket?  I've used that for
> > > both PLCC32 and DIP32 parts.
> >
> > Sorry - what are you suggesting? :)
>
> Well, this is just for flashrom i think, you only tend to run
> flashrom when running an operating system :)
>
> This is a good idea, and somebody on irc recently brought it up (too?).

Ah yes, for flashing chips! Great idea!

> ctflasher has some (oddly licensed) code to this end, and there is
> no need to copy this code, as the actual functionality is limited
> to knowing which BAR to use and what offset address. ctflasher and
> author should of course be mentioned for good measure.
>
> Now, the code in there is for:
> * via rhine
> * 3com vortex
> * those intel 100base cards
> * those common realtek chips.

A good start I think.

> Also, implementation wise, we might want flashrom to take in a
> pcitag for this sort of flashing to be enabled. This is a
> reasonably idiot proof solution as to not accidentally flash the
> wrong rom to the wrong place.

Mh. I would prefer to probe and do something sane by default.

Of course -w is always required to actually write.

For disambiguating if there are several PCI devices that could be
used to flash I think as you say -p is a good idea.

I guess the ISA bridge is one of them too.

flashrom should list the PCI devices it sees that can be used to
flash.

//Peter