[LinuxBIOS] RFC Winflashrom Architecture -- Current device driver (testbed)

Stefan Reinauer stepan at coresystems.de
Mon Jun 11 18:23:02 CEST 2007

* Jeremy Jackson <jerj at coplanar.net> [070611 17:17]:
> My dream is to have a chip specific driver (map driver in MTD terms)
> which knows the window size the BIOS hardware decoder supports,
> including the optional enable bits.

One kernel driver per supported chipset? Ouch. That does not make things
easy at all.

> The chip driver also interacts with Linux /dev/iomem to reflect the
> current setting of the optional enables.

In the kernel you don't have to use /dev/iomem, you can just inb/outb
directly (which is what /dev/iomem does)

> It should also update the below 1MB (and maybe below 16MB) aliases
> in /proc/iomem, according to their actual status in the hardware.  For
> example, the K8 northbridge fixed MTRRs could be disabled, rendering any
> aliasing of the southbridge or LPC/FWH parts moot (from the processor's
> perspective at least)

How is this thing done today? Is it part of the e820 table? Or does
Linux hardcode that area?

Stefan

      Tel.: +49 761 7668825 • Fax: +49 761 7664613