[LinuxBIOS] RFC Winflashrom Architecture -- Current device driver (testbed)

Jeremy Jackson jerj at coplanar.net
Mon Jun 11 19:31:12 CEST 2007

On Mon, 2007-06-11 at 18:23 +0200, Stefan Reinauer wrote:
> * Jeremy Jackson <jerj at coplanar.net> [070611 17:17]:
> > My dream is to have a chip specific driver (map driver in MTD terms)
> > which knows the window size the BIOS hardware decoder supports,
> > including the optional enable bits.
>
> One kernel driver per supported chipset? Ouch. That does not make things
> easy at all.

Well flashrom has numerous per-chipset and per-motherboard drivers for
the write-enable, the quantity of those would remain the same for an
in-kernel driver.  The benefit would be that the drivers would tell the
kernel (/proc/iomem /proc/ioports) what is going on.  Consider also that
there are per-chipset drivers in Linux for EDAC that flash rom functions
could be merged into.

There is always the option of the generic 4G - 16MB window for
not-yet-written drivers.