[LinuxBIOS] V3 question

Uwe Hermann uwe at hermann-uwe.de
Tue Jun 19 10:43:31 CEST 2007

On Mon, Jun 18, 2007 at 06:43:26PM +0100, Ben Hewson wrote:
> I have been trying to find out some info on V3 of Linuxbios, but can't
> seem to find any. Is there any documentation or some sort of outline as
> to the differences?

Not much yet, this is all work in progress. There will be lots more
documentation when things start to stabilize.

For now you have README, doc/design/newboot.lyx and the Doxygen comments
in the source code.

> As it is V3 I assume there must be some significant differences between
> it and the current version.

Yes, several, starting from code/architecture improvements, new
user-friendly 'make menuconfig' for configuring LinuxBIOS and lots more.

> Will the current targets get ported to V3, I noticed, that there is very
> little there at the moment.

This is all work in progress, probably pre-alpha stage. The only target
which currently works is QEMU, which you can use to test stuff.

Yes, we'll try to port as many boards over to v3 as possible, but that's
unlikely to be _all_ v2 boards (see the v1->v2 porting which is nowhere
near complete, either). But that's not a big problem, the boards will remain
supported in v2, we'll not remove v2, of course.

There'll probably be an "official" announcement at the time we have one
or more actual hardware targets working in v3...

Uwe.