[LinuxBIOS] RFC Winflashrom Architecture -- Current device driver (testbed)

Darmawan Salihun darmawan.salihun at gmail.com
Tue Jun 19 14:45:15 CEST 2007

Hi,
Stefan Reinauer wrote:
>> One thing that should really drive this home, is that using this
>> architecture on Linux *and* Windows, the same userspace tool could be
>> used on both, so the fancy code for incremental updates, writing
>> parameter blocks, etc.,  wouldn't have to be duplicated.
>>

> It should not be duplicated anyways. The Windows driver currently only
> takes care of mapping memory into user space if I remember correctly.

I've read most of flashrom code and I found that instead of mapping the
memory_space_near_the_4GB_limit, flashrom also
maps the low 1MB for certain purposes. Therefore, I decided to modify
the driver to support both address range. I think
it should be acceptable, isn't it?

Anyway, my "loose" target for this week is to have a "testable" version
even though the PCI access would still be direct access.
My old program is based on flashrom version 1.23. Therefore, I need
quite sometime to grasp the current flashrom code. It seems
not too much thing changed. The basic logic stays the same, only some
linuxBIOS specific routine here and there and more chipset+flash_chip
support ofcourse. If there's anything I missed, please inform me.

--Darmawan