[LinuxBIOS] EEPROM/Flash reader/writer

Robert Millan rmh at aybabtu.com
Wed Jun 20 10:39:11 CEST 2007

On Wed, Jun 20, 2007 at 10:06:00AM +0200, Stefan Reinauer wrote:
> * Robert Millan <rmh at aybabtu.com> [070620 09:31]:
> > I'm looking for an eeprom/flash reader/writer device, but those I could find
> > at local vendors seem to be targetted only at win32, or even MS-DOG.
> >
> > Does someone know a model that works with free software that you can
> > recommend?
>
> The Galep IV and Galep V devices from Conitec work fine under Linux.
> There is open source Linux software for the IV model, but it is alpha
> and not maintained. The Windows version of both devices (notably the
> Galep V which is based on an ARM uC running Linux) work very nice in wine.

Oh :(.  Well, I suppose the goal of replacing non-free firmware is a good
excuse to support such program with money.

But since these devices seem quite expensive, there's a pair of things I'd
like to know before I buy one:

  - Does Galep IV support reading as well as writing?  I suppose they support
  reading at least for verification, but I want extraction of my propietary
  bios(es) for reverse engineering if necessary.

  - How good is support for different chips?  Is a Galep IV enough to be
  able to read/write almost every standard PC board around?

> Conitec is going to release a native Linux version of their software
> for the Galep V. Whether that will be free as freedom or "only" free as
> beer is yet unknown :)

Let's hope it will.. :/

> http://www.linuxbios.org/Galep_IV
>
> The setup of the Galep V software is trivial, since the V uses a USB
> network chip. You can telnet and http to the device, too.

I think I'll stay with Galep IV.  I already have a parallel port ;-)

Btw, nice tutorial.

Thank you

--
Robert Millan

My spam trap is honeypot at aybabtu.com.  Note: this address is only intended
for spam harvesters.  Writing to it will get you added to my black list.