[LinuxBIOS] EEPROM/Flash reader/writer

Stefan Reinauer stepan at coresystems.de
Wed Jun 20 10:51:07 CEST 2007

* Robert Millan <rmh at aybabtu.com> [070620 10:39]:
>   - Does Galep IV support reading as well as writing?  I suppose they support
>   reading at least for verification, but I want extraction of my propietary
>   bios(es) for reverse engineering if necessary.

Yes. Reading the flashes works fine.

>   - How good is support for different chips?  Is a Galep IV enough to be
>   able to read/write almost every standard PC board around?

Yes, and a lot more. It reads/writes GALs, some microcontrollers, etc

Conitec has pretty good service. When you find a device that is not
supported, they will support it in one of the next releases

> > The setup of the Galep V software is trivial, since the V uses a USB
> > network chip. You can telnet and http to the device, too.
>
> I think I'll stay with Galep IV.  I already have a parallel port ;-)

The IV is a little bit slower than the V, but it is a very nice device.

      Tel.: +49 761 7668825 • Fax: +49 761 7664613