[LinuxBIOS] Flash support for Sony Vaio laptop

Peter Stuge stuge-linuxbios at cdy.org
Wed Jun 20 22:37:54 CEST 2007

On Wed, Jun 20, 2007 at 09:12:24PM +0200, Geert Jansen wrote:
> I just tried out the "flashrom" utility on my Sony Vaio VGN-FE11M
> laptop. I think some of my hardware is not supported,

I think most of your hardare is not supported. :\

The problem with laptops is that they usually have an extra
microcontroller (aka embedded controller aka EC) to do small bits of
this and that in the system. One such thing could be to control the
write signals to the flash chip.

No-one really knows how the ECs work so writing to flash becomes
difficult at best. (Writes are required in order to identify the
chip.)

Sorry about this. :\

Laptop support is being worked on but is still in very early stages.

//Peter