[LinuxBIOS] 440BX

Robert Millan rmh at aybabtu.com
Fri Jun 22 18:07:40 CEST 2007

On Fri, Jun 22, 2007 at 04:22:59PM +0200, Uwe Hermann wrote:
> [Please always write to the mailing list, not individual developers]

Oops.  Sorry about that.

> On Thu, Jun 21, 2007 at 12:54:40PM +0200, Robert Millan [ackstorm] wrote:
> > Hi!
> >
> > I have a Compaq Deskpro board with 440BX chipset that I'd like to put LinuxBIOS
> > in.  I noticed that defaults for Tyan are hardcoded, so gave a look at the
> > source to see if I could replace the defaults to get it working for me.
> >
> > However, I couldn't find any reference to which constants are hardcoded.  The
> > numbers in i440bx.h look like based on Intel specs, not sure if they're those?
>
> Yep, i440bx.h is fine, no changes needed.
>
> You have to change some values in raminit.c, e.g. the DRB* values and
> most of the stuff from sdram_set_spd_registers(). If you use only one
> 64MB DIMM in the first slot it may even work without modifications.
>
> Otherwise you can run "lspci -xxx -s 0:0.0" to get the values which
> should work for your system. Reading parts of the datasheet is probably
> a good idea if you want to give this a try.
>
> I still didn't get around to making the 440BX RAM init code fully
> generic; I hope to be able to do so soon. I'm afraid we'll have to switch
> to CAR though, I ran into massive romcc problems the last time I tried this.

Turns out the BIOS is soldered PLCC (and I can't flash it because it fails
POST).  If I manage to replace that with a socket I'll follow your advice to
try get it working.

Thank you

--
Robert Millan

My spam trap is honeypot at aybabtu.com.  Note: this address is only intended
for spam harvesters.  Writing to it will get you added to my black list.