[LinuxBIOS] ELF loader in v3

Stefan Reinauer stepan at coresystems.de
Sat Jun 30 16:50:13 CEST 2007

* Uwe Hermann <uwe at hermann-uwe.de> [070630 16:32]:
> We definately need a version field in the lar header, we probably cannot
> use the same format forever, there _will_ be changes one day.

So what? The lar archive will always work with the lar program that came
with that version of linuxbios.

I agree we want a version at some point, and I am fine if someone sends
a patch that implements it. But lets not use it before our headers have
at least stabilized.

> Thus, this tool must know which version of a lar archives it works on,
> and it must contain backwards compatibility code, to not only handle
> the lar format which was the newest one when the tool was compiled,
> but also all older version (at least those, which were "released" or
> marked as "stable" or something)...

Or at least print an error ("your lar archive is too old, please
update")

> For now the work required to do this is almost zero, just add a
> 'version' entry to the lar header struct and ignore it's value.
> Later versions will have to read the version field and act accordingly.

agreed.

      Tel.: +49 761 7668825 • Fax: +49 761 7664613