[LinuxBIOS] MenuetOS and LinuxBIOS?

Uwe Hermann uwe at hermann-uwe.de
Mon Mar 5 18:50:11 CET 2007

On Mon, Mar 05, 2007 at 05:29:19PM +0100, Stefan Reinauer wrote:
> > OK, I've fixed the wiki, and also added a list of OSes which are _not_
> > supported to the FAQ. Please update he list further if something's
> > missing.
>
> As far as I remember the entry was about menuetos 64bit (which can not
> use bios callbacks anyways, at least not in 64bit mode) so there might
> be a way of doing this.

Quote from http://menuet.2.forumer.com/index.php?showtopic=1131:

  Menuet64 source code is not currently available since already the Menuet32
  source code is being misused by some people. If it were up to me, I'd actually
  like releasing Menuet64 sources under the GPL. Currently Menuet64 source
  includes code from us five developers you can see on the contact list and
  others are not allowed to see the source.

  Keeping parts of the source closed has guaranteed us privacy and peace of
  mind which is needed for continuing development. Already Menuet64 has
  applications, like the HTTP client, which are not present in the 32 bit version.

  Menuet64 is more of a complete rewrite, not an upgrade to 64 bit processors.

  It's unfortunate that a few individuals are unable to respect the licenses
  other developers have chosen for their code.

I have no idea what issues there are, but as long as there's no source
code under a Free Software license, I'm not interested in Menuet64
(and I can't easily check whether it does BIOS callbacks).

There's a floppy image (binary only) which works in QEMU, if someone
want to give this a try:

wget 'http://www.menuetos.be/download.php?CurrentMenuetOS'
unzip M64-059.ZIP?8.2
qemu-system-x86_64 -fda M64-059.IMG

> A HowTo is always appreciated over just mentioning that it is
> theoretically possible.

Yep, HOWTOs would be really nice.

Not only for MenuetOS or Menuet64, but also for all kinds of other OSes
which we can boot wth LinuxBIOS (ReactOS, Minix, FreeDOS(+ADLO?), etc.).

I created http://linuxbios.org/QEMU which can be used for various QEMU
HOWTOs. I also plan to upload QEMU images which can be used by newbies
to easily test LinuxBIOS without having to fiddle with their
hardware/BIOS and without having to compile QEMU or LinuxBIOS themselves.

Contributions are very welcome!

Uwe.