[LinuxBIOS] Problems booting off Epia MII compact flash (filo)

Peter Stuge stuge-linuxbios at cdy.org
Tue Mar 6 13:36:24 CET 2007

On Mon, Mar 05, 2007 at 09:36:50PM -0500, John Koleszar wrote:
> When trying to boot off of the onboard CF (hde)

[..]

> My filo Config and a complete debug log is attached. I suspect that
> my problem is with my filo build rather than linuxbios

There was no way to both use the CF slot as a boot device in FILO,
and as the root device for the kernel when I was working on the MII
back in September. I spent some time on it but did not see a simple
solution.

Linux did not like the Ricoh bridge when set up so that FILO could
use it.

While hacking on this problem Linux or FILO would just give errors
when trying to talk to the card. There are documented problems with
the Ricoh bridge. (2.6 PCMCIA HOWTO/FAQ)

I decided to work around the problem and got a CF->IDE adapter so
that the CF is hda.

//Peter