[LinuxBIOS] LinuxBios on a HP ePC C10 ?

Corey Osgood corey_osgood at verizon.net
Fri Mar 9 07:59:10 CET 2007

joe at smittys.pointclark.net wrote:
> Quoting joe at smittys.pointclark.net:
>> Quoting Corey Osgood <corey_osgood at verizon.net>:
>>> On the i815 chipset, the limit for ram is 512MB. I can only assume
>>> this to be the same for the i810, since the i815 is extremely
>>> similar. You should probably grab the i810's docs off intel.com,
>>> they should say in the first few pages if there's as limit and what
>>> it is.
>>> -Corey
>> Correct me if I am wrong, i810 supports 512MB PC100 with a FSB of 100Mhz,
>> i810E supports 512MB PC133 with a FSB of 100Mhz, and i815 supports
>> 512MB PC133 with a FSB of 133Mhz, and then we have my baby the 830M
>> which is a mobile cross breede betwwen a i815 and i845 chipset and it
>> supports 1024MB PC133 with a FSB of 133Mhz.
>> Thanks - Joe
> Also, does it matter in LinuxBios how many DIMM slots you have?? I
> know in normal bios's there is a max per channel. For example on an
> i810 with two DIMM slots it would be able to support 256MB max per
> channel or slot. If you only had one slot you could could only have
> 256MB. Is this determined by the bios or chipset?
> Thanks - Joe
I don't think this is a problem for the i810/i815, although I suppose it
could be some board-specific thing. My D815EEA has 4 dimm slots, and I
only have 1 512MB PC133 DIMM in it. Adding any more memory gives an
error in the BIOS that it can't initialize the extra ram. I have heard
of/seen this on other chipsets/boards, although I don't remember what
they were off the top of my head, it was too long ago and I don't think
I have them any more.

As far as the i810E supporting 512MB of PC133 at 100MHz, that' doesn't even
make sense. PC133 should be backwards compatible with PC100 , so
supporting PC100 would have meant it also supported PC133 (just not at
full speed), and vice versa. However, you are indeed correct on the
i815's memory support.