[LinuxBIOS] LinuxBIOS, VMWare & CMOS

Joe Pub joepubber at googlemail.com
Fri Mar 9 10:19:33 CET 2007

Hi All,

I am getting closer to having VMWare working with a LinuxBIOS BIOS.  I
had an issue which I was unsure of, where certain compile options
would just not work with VMWare.  I have finnaly figured out why that
is.

By enabling CONFIG_PCI_ROM_RUN for instance, includes extra object
files within the resulting binary, hence making the used part of the
ROM image greater.  Here lies my problem.  VMWare seems to load the
LinuxBIOS rom, but then overwrite the address at 0xFA000 with 8K of
NVRAM data, basically overwriting portions of the LinuxBIOS code.

So what I was wondering, what would be the best approach to reserve
that area of memory to that it does not corrupt any of the LinuxBIOS
code.

Thanks guys.