[LinuxBIOS] Status VIA Epia M1000

Corey Osgood corey_osgood at verizon.net
Mon Mar 12 10:13:54 CET 2007

Corey Osgood wrote:
> Jørgen P. Tjernø wrote:
>
>> Hi!
>>
>> I've got an Epia M1000 that I use as a mediamachine (HTPC?), and I
>> recently learnt of LinuxBIOS. Therefore, I was curious wether or not
>> using LinuxBIOS would be to my advantage, e.g. to reduce boot-times. I
>> see the main LinuxBIOS lists HTPC under example uses. :-)
>>
>> So, I'm curious. Would you recommend me trying out LinuxBIOS on the
>> machine? What advantages would it give me?
>> Also, does LinuxBIOS v2 (or the unfinished v3) support Epia M1000
>> properly? On the "Supported Motherboards" page for LinuxBIOS v2, it says
>> "Motherboard mostly works, but some issues remain." on Epia-M. Is this
>> correct? Are there any places which list the issues that I can expect?
>>
>> I should probably also mention that it boots Linux (Ubuntu) over the
>> network, currently using PXE for the linux image, and NFS for the root fs.
>>
>> Thanks in advance.
>>
>> Kindest regards, Jørgen P. Tjernø.
>>

> Hi!
> Sorry, but the Epia-M1000 uses the via vt8235 southbridge, which we do
> we do have support for in LBv2 (v3 is still in the early development
> stages), and the via cle266 northbridge, which we don't support yet.
>
> -Corey

Apologies, the cle266 is vt8623ce, which may work with the current
vt8623 code. The only way to really find out if it works for you is to
set up some sort of backup system (BIOS savior, spare BIOS chips, etc)
and try it. And yes, using LinuxBIOS should reduce your boot time,
although I don't know the exact amount of time you'll gain.

-Corey