[LinuxBIOS] Status VIA Epia M1000

Jonathan McDowell noodles at earth.li
Mon Mar 12 10:25:55 CET 2007

On Mon, Mar 12, 2007 at 05:13:54AM -0400, Corey Osgood wrote:
> Corey Osgood wrote:
> > Jørgen P. Tjernø wrote:
> >> I've got an Epia M1000 that I use as a mediamachine (HTPC?), and I
> >> recently learnt of LinuxBIOS. Therefore, I was curious wether or not
> >> using LinuxBIOS would be to my advantage, e.g. to reduce boot-times. I
> >> see the main LinuxBIOS lists HTPC under example uses. :-)
> > Sorry, but the Epia-M1000 uses the via vt8235 southbridge, which we do
> > we do have support for in LBv2 (v3 is still in the early development
> > stages), and the via cle266 northbridge, which we don't support yet.
> >
> Apologies, the cle266 is vt8623ce, which may work with the current
> vt8623 code. The only way to really find out if it works for you is to
> set up some sort of backup system (BIOS savior, spare BIOS chips, etc)
> and try it. And yes, using LinuxBIOS should reduce your boot time,
> although I don't know the exact amount of time you'll gain.

Unless someone's broken it LinuxBIOS v2 should support the EPIA-M1000
fine; I have a few dozen of these running SVN release 2357. My machines
don't have the VGA BIOS, but I have tried it with success - you need
version 1.13 rather than the latest 1.16 I believe.

J.

--
                 | Illiterate?  Write for FREE HELP!  |