[LinuxBIOS] Where to begin?

Stefan Reinauer stepan at coresystems.de
Mon Mar 12 14:45:05 CET 2007

* Ward Vandewege <ward at gnu.org> [070312 14:21]:
> On Mon, Mar 12, 2007 at 02:15:58PM +0100, Stefan Reinauer wrote:
> > I bought this programmer, and I think it is a really good deal:
> > http://www.progshop.com/shop/programmer/galep/galep4.shtml
> > it burns about everything, requires a non-usb parport though
>
> What's the software situation Stefan? Free software support? Do you know of
> any programmers that are supported by free software?

Don't think any of them do, sorry :-(

I think the artec group LPC dongle comes with open source software, but
that is a different model.

Some people on this list were talking about creating an open
alternative to the bios savior, with more or less intelligence.
(including Peter and me), but it did not work out yet.

Ironwood Electronics sells a "PLCC clip on base", an inverted PLCC
socket that can be plugged on a soldered-in flash part. Together with a
BIOS savior kind of device, this would be a really cool thing.

Though I want to get my hands on a device I can use with the artec group
LPC dongle. It has cool features, such as "console by rom write". You
write some sequence to the flash chip/dongle and get a console on the
other (USB) end... Pretty good stuff for a 150$ (no guarantee) device..

Stefan

      Tel.: +49 761 7668825 • Fax: +49 761 7664613