[LinuxBIOS] 5 Euro flash hardware

Ward Vandewege ward at gnu.org
Mon Mar 12 16:47:27 CET 2007

On Mon, Mar 12, 2007 at 04:08:58PM +0100, Quux wrote:
> Ward Vandewege schrieb:
> > A proper programmer would be useful, but only if it can be used with free
> > software. There's also this rom-emulator:
> >
> >   http://www.tech-tools.com/er3.htm
> >
> > Richard Smith told me that the dos-based cli software works under wine, but
> > it's still a proprietary thing.
>
> > http://www.loet.de/index.html
> >

> this flasher can be homebrewed at 5 euro component cost and free linux
> flash software is available.
> you can also buy a ready-made flasher.

Yeah. We actually bought one, but the problem is that most modern plcc parts
require 3-3.6V to flash, and this programmer needs an additional voltage
adaptor to do that (it uses 5V if you hook it up to your PC power supply).

I don't suppose there is a manual in English somewhere? My German is rusty
(http://www.loet.de/download_en.html).

Suggestions on how to build/where to find such a voltage regulator? The
manual isn't very helpful in that respect - at least as far as I can make
out. Would adding a resistor to the +5V line be sufficient?

Thanks,
Ward.

--
Ward Vandewege <ward at fsf.org>