[LinuxBIOS] trying to boot gigabyte m57sli-s4

Ward Vandewege ward at gnu.org
Mon Mar 12 21:21:34 CET 2007

On Mon, Mar 12, 2007 at 09:11:43PM +0100, ST wrote:
> > Please check the boot log.
> The bootlog looks fine. I am still having problems here getting a kernel
> booted without the "noapic" option (stock bios updated to f7).
> 2.6.20.2 gives me:
> ENABLING IO-APIC IRQs
> ..TIMER: vector=0x31 apic1=0 pin1=0 apic2=-1 pin2=-1
> ..MP-BIOS bug: 8254 timer not connected to IO-APIC
> ...trying to set up timer (IRQ0) through the 8259A ... failed.
> ...trying to set up timer as Virtual Wire IRQ... failed.
> ...trying to set up timer as ExtINT IRQ... failed :(.
> Kernel panic - not syncing: IO-APIC + timer doesn't work!
>
> Do i need a kernel right out of the git repository?

Booting 2.6.20.1 with noapic works for me:

title   Ubuntu, kernel 2.6.20.1
root    (hd0,0)
kernel    /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.20.1 root=/dev/sda1 ro console=tty0 console=ttyS0,115200 noapic
savedefault
boot

> I think without having a normal clean boot i don't need to start with
> linuxbios :-(.

Yeah, normal boot first :)

> Besides does anybody know if the second free place on the PCB is still
> connected in a proper way to enable diy dual boot bios. Does anybody know
> which spi flash type is placed on the m57sli-s4.

Uhm - none I think. If you look closely at the second (free) place, you'll
see paths for a plcc socket, and within that, paths for an spi flash part (I
think).

> There is an inner and outer ring of contacts for the second free bios chip.
> Does anybody know if these are for different chips or are these for one chip.
> The latter would make soldering with my tools impossible.

You only need the outer ring for the plcc. That's what the first chip is -
when ours came off, there was nothing underneath.

Thanks,
Ward.

--
Ward Vandewege <ward at fsf.org>