[LinuxBIOS] northbridge docs

joe at smittys.pointclark.net joe at smittys.pointclark.net
Fri Mar 16 13:29:23 CET 2007

Hello,
I am working on the code for my northbridge (Intel 82830).
Particularly the raminit.c file. By looking at the sources from the
other northbridges and my datasheets, I am getting a little lost. My
datasheet (Intel) lists all the registers and their defaults but
doesn't really explain the memory initialization process. Could
someone direct me to some good docs that explain how memory
initialization happens at boot time? The more detail the better. I am
using SDRAM so SDRAM specific would be great. I was looking at the
code from the via vt8601, but it seems like alot of the registers are
hardcoded into the code (no disrespect Ron, I saw you converted it to
C). I would like to write one that is a lot more dynamic (more
definitions to uniqe code) so it can also be used to as sort of a
template for other SDRAM based northbridges.

Thanks - Joe