[LinuxBIOS] Abit kn9 ultra

Karl Erik Asbjørnsen lb at asbjornsen.org
Mon Mar 19 22:50:02 CET 2007

Just got my bios savior, so now I'm ready to try to make linuxbios work
on my abit kn9 ultra.

Attached the lspci -vv and dmidecode.

First things first: After  more PCI-IDs was added to flash_enable.c
flashrom was able to find my bios chip:
Calibrating delay loop... Setting up microsecond timing loop
730M loops per second
ok
No LinuxBIOS table found.
Enabling flash write on NVIDIA MCP55...OK
Trying SST49LF040, 512 KB
probe_jedec: id1 0xbf, id2 0x51
SST49LF040 found at physical address: 0xfff80000
Flash part is SST49LF040 (512 KB)
OK, only ENABLING flash write, but NOT FLASHING.

Reading with -r does not look like the original bios, as there is
readable text in the read image, like "Phoenix Technologies, LTD", this
is not visible in the original bios image. Is this correct? This was
discussed in a previous thread called "
mcp55 flashrom problem".

Trying to write a linuxbios image I built (which does probably not work
yet anyway):
[root at silver flashrom]# ./flashrom -vV -c SST49LF040 -w linuxbios.rom
Calibrating delay loop... Setting up microsecond timing loop
727M loops per second
ok
No LinuxBIOS table found.
Enabling flash write on NVIDIA MCP55...OK
Trying SST49LF040, 512 KB
probe_jedec: id1 0xbf, id2 0x51
SST49LF040 found at physical address: 0xfff80000
Flash part is SST49LF040 (512 KB)
LinuxBIOS last image size (not rom size) is 4096 bytes.
MANUFACTURER: ABIT
MAINBOARD ID: kn9_ultra
Note: If the following flash access fails, you might need to specify -m
<vendor>:<mainboard>
Programming Page: 0127 at address: 0x0007f000
Verifying flash address: 0x00000000 - FAILED

Flashing the original bios to the bios savior did not work, so I used
awdflash instead. That worked fine.

Any help appreciated, both for making flashrom work, and also how to
make linuxbios work. I started by copying nvidia/l1_2pvv in target and
mainboard. Can someone look at the attached files and give me a step by
step guide on how to try to make things work?

Karl Erik