[LinuxBIOS] raminit.c

Stefan Reinauer stepan at coresystems.de
Thu Mar 22 00:55:21 CET 2007

* joe at smittys.pointclark.net <joe at smittys.pointclark.net> [070322 00:48]:
> a) setup the most minimal northbridge memory registry
> b) detect spd to find memory parimeters
> c) set the spd parimeters in the northbridge memory registry
> d) startup memory
>
> Is this correct??

a) sounds suspicious. No "minimal" setup, but rather "those registers of
   the memory controller that don't have to be setup via c.

> The main question I have is how do I know which of the northbridge
> memory registers need to be setup on initially?? If they are to use
> their default values to I even need to include them?? Or should I just
> set them all up??

Heh. :-) That is the tricky part. You have to read the docs, and try to
understand, and you can compare the registers to those of the legacy
bios.

Some chipsets have a "bios porting guide", but except for AMD chipsets,
they are usually hard to get.

Stefan

      Tel.: +49 761 7668825 • Fax: +49 761 7664613