[LinuxBIOS] Getting Friendly with Flashrom

Stefan Reinauer stepan at coresystems.de
Thu Mar 22 10:56:13 CET 2007

* David H. Barr <dhbarr at gozelle.com> [070322 04:21]:
>   - the same type of utility from Award / Phoenix is AWDFLASH
>   - MSI uses both AWD and AMI BIOS images, so the "mojo" may be present
>     in both utilities (a generic enable sequence?  a list of enable sequences?)

Award BIOS uses an in-flash structure starting with the magic
"AWDFLASH". It contains a couple of pointers to 16bit functions for
enabling/disabling shadowing and flash write protection.

AMI BIOS uses an intXX call for that. Refer to RBIL for more
information.

So none of the dos tools knows about this itself. It just asks the bios
(image file) to show the system bios.

The sequence to call these in-flash enablers is well-known. Uniflash is
using them and so knows how to flash every board without the need for
new code, as long as it knows the flash chips.

>   - along that same line, what about disabling one or more section of these
>     tools to end up with a simple "enabler", or a brute force writer, or ???

I am not exactly convinced that this is legal. esreveR gnireenigne is,
in a couple of countries though

Stefan

      Tel.: +49 761 7668825 • Fax: +49 761 7664613