[LinuxBIOS] Question about UEFI payload for LinuxBIOS

Uwe Hermann uwe at hermann-uwe.de
Fri Mar 23 16:37:57 CET 2007

Hi,

On Fri, Mar 23, 2007 at 09:09:02PM -0800, xiongyi wrote:
> I am a potential student applicant for the Google SoC 2007 program. And I am

Great to hear! Welcome :)

> strongly interested in the LinuxBIOS project, especially for the "GNUFI or
> TianoCore payloads" idea. I have some background of EFI-related development,
> such as knowledge about (U)EFI spec. and EFI driver/application development
> in the Tiano platform, etc.  But I know little about hardware or chips.
>
> The "GNUEFI or TianoCore payloads" idea is to get an UEFI implementation as
> the LinuxBIOS payload. Essentially, LinuxBIOS need to provide the interfaces
> for the GNUFI or TianoCore core foundation for this purpose, I think. I
> wonder whether this project idea, namely "GNUEFI or Tiano payloads", needs
> the LinuxBIOS hardware platform for development environment and some chips
> knowledge. Or some emulation development environments are enough.

I guess for most things you can use QEMU for your development and
testing. See this page in the wiki for more information:

http://linuxbios.org/QEMU_Build_Tutorial

I don't know how hardware-dependent (U)EFI is or has to be, though. For
certain parts you might have to use actual hardware...

Uwe.