[LinuxBIOS] Intel 440FX

Corey Osgood corey_osgood at verizon.net
Wed Mar 28 07:24:19 CEST 2007

Graeme Brett Houston wrote:
> Hi can the 440FX chipset be supported, if so how long to implment, also
> what is the minimum flashrom size for Linuxbios?

If the 440FX is similar to 440BX, it should be little problem once the
440BX works. Unfortunately, 440BX doesn't work right now. A timeline is
difficult, since it's tough to say exactly when we'll figure out the
right combination of registers of registers to program, in the right
order, which is pretty much where we're at now. If you'd like to help, I
can offer you a tarball of what I've done, so long as you have
* some knowledge of what you're doing (read the linuxbios wiki)
* the datasheets (available from intel.com, I suspect)
* a backup system for your BIOS (spare chips or a bios savior)

LinuxBIOS's minimum size I'd say is probably 256k (aka 2Mbit), although
with 128k you could have either a normal or a fallback image, and a payload.

-Corey