[LinuxBIOS] CN700/VT8237RP support needed. Will pay.

Peter Stuge stuge-linuxbios at cdy.org
Fri Mar 30 02:41:16 CEST 2007

On Thu, Mar 29, 2007 at 07:00:18PM -0400, Corey Osgood wrote:
> Afaik, the docs I've got on this chipset (vt8237r) are not covered
> under any sort of NDA, there is no watermark or other indication
> that they are.

Thanks for confirming that!

> The server that I found them on is accessible through Google, and
> they've been there for quite a while, so Via has obviously not
> cared enough to have the owner take them down.

Unfortunately that may not be how legal departments reason, had it
been a document covered by an NDA. :(

> Personally, I don't see why sucking up to a hardware vendor for
> non-confidential datasheets is necessary.

It isn't! I just wanted to remind everyone to stay aware of the
pitfalls.

> I have personally contacted Via 3 times now about datasheets for
> different chipsets, and never been given a response, and 2 other
> people who I've given this datasheet to said the same thing.

That's bad. Maybe they're only easy to work with if there's a
company involved.

> With my most recent attempt, I let them know both about Magden's
> product, and about the potential for enthusiasts to purchase newer
> products instead of having to stick with older ones should they
> want to use LinuxBIOS (this was my personal case). Still no word.

I'm sure all documentation will be readily available for the taker of
the CN700 port.

> If they practically give them away, I'm practically Brad Pitt!

Hehe. You got the point at least. Sorry for over-dramatizing. :)

> But, in the true spirit of I-don't-wanna-piss-anyone-off, I will
> stop distributing them, and I won't commit back any code I may
> write until after I've been (if I ever am) given the docs
> officially by Via.

That wasn't my intention at all, I just wanted to post a reminder
that it's important to be careful.

//Peter