[LinuxBIOS] [patch 0/4] AMD Geode LX support for LinuxBIOS

Carl-Daniel Hailfinger c-d.hailfinger.devel.2006 at gmx.net
Thu May 3 19:03:58 CEST 2007

On 03.05.2007 18:42, Stefan Reinauer wrote:
>>> The VSA binary source is LGPL [...]
>
> OFW does not use the VSA at all anymore (as far as I know, please
> correct me if I am wrong), since running the modules was slowing down
> the boot process quite a bit (compared to the rest of the boot time at
> least)

According to Mitch Bradley, switching away from VSA saved ~10 seconds
during early bootup.

> So one question is in my mind: Can we implement the setup done by VSA
> as native LinuxBIOS code, and does it make sense? What are the draw
> backs in such a scenario?

I'd like to split the VSA into "useful" chunks and "unneeded" chunks.
VGA/sound emulation is now unnecessary since Linux has drivers for
the native hardware. Bootloaders might want VGA, though.
However, PCI emulation makes some things much easier IMO.

Regards,
Carl-Daniel
--
http://www.hailfinger.org/