[LinuxBIOS] Booting windows from LinuxBIOS

Uwe Hermann uwe at hermann-uwe.de
Fri May 4 14:15:06 CEST 2007

On Fri, May 04, 2007 at 03:02:32PM +0300, Al Boldi wrote:
> > ACPI is far too slow and broken to do the task.
> > It's a mixture between the Open Firmware device tree and FCode.
> > Reinvented poorly.
>
> You mean ACPI was reinvented poorly?

Yes, I'm pretty sure that's what Stefan meant ;)

> > > And, wouldn't it make sense for LinuxBIOS and OFW to join forces?
> >
> > Definitely. This is already happening - There is a GSoC project (going
> > to be done by Jens Freimann) to get a better integration between OFW and
> > LB done.
>
> I was more thinking of merging the projects; or is there an advantage of
> keeping them separate?

I doubt that you'll be able to or want to _merge_ them. They're totally
different with different design, different programming language etc. etc.

What is very well possible, though, is to improve interoperability,
and to use good ideas and concepts from OFW to enhance LinuxBIOS, and
vice versa.

Even code sharing might be possible to a certain degree (the licenses
are compatible, IIRC), but completely _merging_ the projects is not
realistic, IMO.

Uwe.