[LinuxBIOS] LinuxBIOS <3 buildrom

Peter Stuge stuge-linuxbios at cdy.org
Wed May 9 17:40:53 CEST 2007

On Wed, May 09, 2007 at 08:31:06AM -0600, Jordan Crouse wrote:
> Yes.  Not only do we need to teach the build system how to build
> individual targets,

This should just be a matter of providing the correct directory name
right?

> but my plan is to put as much customization into the individual
> platforms as I can, leaving the payloads fairly generic.

I don't think I understand what you mean here. Could you elaborate a
little?

> The alternative is lots if ifeq() elsif() clauses in the payload
> makefiles which is less optimal.

I'm thinking that buildrom could be integrated with LB a bit better.

buildrom needs to know which LB target to build.
It also needs to know which payload to build.
And it needs to know the payload's configuration.

buildrom of course also supports lots of other stuff (uclibc busybox
etc) but that doesn't matter wrt LB.

The integration would be rather simple:

* put buildrom in LB/util (which becomes a separate repo RSN)
  (there's already a buildrom there, remove/rename it)

* add a Config.buildrom directory to each target, next to the
  Config.abuild and Config.lb files.

* Config.buildrom/ holds a payload configuration file for each
  supported payload. A FILO Config file, a kernel .config etc.
  This payload config has everything enabled for the board, and
  users that want to change stuff will just use it as a template.

Thoughts?

//Peter