[LinuxBIOS] What hardware are we using for LinuxBIOS now?

Marc Jones marc.jones at amd.com
Thu May 10 18:24:29 CEST 2007

Gregg C Levine wrote:
> Hello!
> I believe I missed something, someplace, during the past time period.
>
> (Long story, probably told the list to stop sending me stuff while I was
> away and promptly forgot to reset the list sittings.)
>
> So, a question as framed by my subject: What hardware are we using for
> LinuxBIOS now? Are they specific flash devices that match the original? Or
> are the older DOC devices still supported also?
>
> You know the drill, I'm planning on a new project, probably over the coming
> season and I am thinking of implementing LinuxBIOS for it.
>
> And as it happens it just might be wearing a GEODE processor as opposed to
> the normal ones. Now for the AMD members who're working with the GEODE, any
> part suggestions? Boards of course I will defer to when I am ready to select
> one. Essentially the kernel suggests I2C for the GPIO points on the GEODE
> and gives specific pin-numbers, and this is the 2.4.33.3 member kernel.
> That's why I asked about the Norwhich board.
> --
> Gregg C Levine hansolofalcon at worldnet.att.net
> "The Force will be with you. Always." Obi-Wan Kenobi

Hi Gregg,

The Geode southbridge, CS5536, is companion to the Geode GX and LX
processors. It supports either FWH or LPC flash parts on the LPC bus. It
also supports booting from the flash controller that could have a DOC on
it but it is very complicated and you would need to work with the DOC
guys to get the SPL/IPL support. It is our experience that the slight
cost of a separate ROM for BIOS is worth it.

More informationon the 5536, including the data book, can be found here:
http://www.amd.com/us-en/ConnectivitySolutions/ProductInformation/0,,50_2330_9863_13022%5E13054,00.html

Marc

--
Marc Jones