[LinuxBIOS] 4mb Flash

zooy0rk at zooy0rk.net zooy0rk at zooy0rk.net
Fri May 18 04:21:43 CEST 2007

Hi Everyone,

I recently purchased a VIA Epia MII 12000 with the intentions of using
LinuxBIOS but I am having a slight problem using a 4mb bios.  According to
VIA this board does indeed support a 4mb flash
(http://www.via.com.tw/en/products/mainboards/motherboards.jsp?motherboard_id=202).
 I also purchased a 4mb SST39SF040 bios chip which according to the manual
is in fact 4mb (http://www.sst.com/downloads/datasheet/S71147.pdf).
However, when I run flashrom it produces the following output:

./flashrom
Calibrating delay loop... ok
No LinuxBIOS table found.
Found chipset "VT8235": Enabling flash write... OK.
Found board "VIA EPIA M/MII/...": Enabling flash write... OK.
SST39SF040 found at physical address: 0xfff80000
Flash part is SST39SF040 (512 KB)
OK, only ENABLING flash write, but NOT FLASHING.

As you can see, flashrom thinks this is only a 512KB chip.  Upon further
inspection I found that total_size is defined as 512 in flashchips.c.  I
tried increasing this number to 4096 but then flashrom reported invalid
(0xFF) manufacturer and product IDs.  Can someone please shed some light
on this situation for me?  Am I missing something?

Thanks
William