[LinuxBIOS] i810 support on its way!

Corey Osgood corey_osgood at verizon.net
Sat May 19 22:46:07 CEST 2007

joe at smittys.pointclark.net wrote:
> Quoting Corey Osgood <corey_osgood at verizon.net>:
>
>> Intel i810/i82801aa/b support should be on its way soon, I hope the
>> folks that were asking about it are still subscribed. i815 will follow
>> soon after. minicom.cap attached, I've still got a few quirks to work
>> out (like finishing the south bridge and a quick fix to ram size
>> setting), but ram init seems to be working. Expect more in a couple
>> days. Asus MEW-VM is the current target board, for anyone curious. BTW,
>> SMSC LPC47B272 is listed as unknown on the wiki, I can confirm that at
>> least the pre-ram code works.
>>
>> Also, if anyone has any info relating to the setting of the buffer
>> strength, neither datasheet is clear on it, just that it depend on if
>> the ram is x8, x16, or x32. I have x8 and x16 ram sticks that I can test
>> how the factory bios sets up, but I think the only x32 stick I have is
>> 512mb, which is more than the i810 supports.
>>
>> -Corey
>>

> How's it going with this Corey?
>
> Thanks - Joe

See the attached minicom.cap and attached patch (not ready for commit).
The current problems:

*Detecting dual-sided dimms even on single sided dimms with correct spd
values? Possibly getting the wrong SPD byte, could be smbus-related or
northbridge's translation of them, most likely the latter.
*Hanging at the end of minicom.cap - could be related to the previous,
haven't dived into it too far yet. It also could be a bug in the smsc
lpc47b272 or the southbridge.
*Lots of "PCI: devfn 0xX, bad id 0xffffffff", need to figure out where
these are coming from and why.

I have not yet tried with hardcoded ram size values, since I have been
too busy with work (you caught me on my lunch break). Also, GPL headers
are very much messed up, and the i82801aa (aka ICH) is a quick and dirty
copy and paste from 82801ca with the device IDs changed, so there could
be some problems there. I've been going over the i82801aa datasheet, and
its 414 pages of mass confusion. You can also see some stuff in i810.h
where I started to work towards i815 support as well, but that isn't
going to work out due to device ID issues. This will work (in the end)
on the i810 and i810-DC100 though. Anyways, feel free to
modify/test/play with it as you please. I can't get back to it until monday.

-Corey