[LinuxBIOS] ASUS M2N-E (Non-SLI) Motherboard MCP55 - Re: ASUS M2N-E (Non-SLI) Motherboard MCP55 - Support? - Re: ASUS M2N-E (Non-SLI) Motherboard MCP55 - Support? - newbie. (Uwe Hermann) Yes I want to help!

Jonathan King flyingmouseball at gmail.com
Wed May 23 01:57:07 CEST 2007

> Hi,

On Sat, May 19, 2007 at 12:13:26AM -0500, Jonathan King wrote:

> Hello I just joined the list and I am truly excited to hear that Nvidia is
> > cooperating with the MCP55 chipset.  I have an ASUS M2N-E motherboard
> and
> > here are my stats.
>
> That's not supported yet, unfortunately. As it uses mostly already
> supported
> components (the MCP55 for example) it should be doable pretty quickly,
> though. Are you able and willing to test patches on your hardware if we
> create some?

Yes I am willing and able to help in any way needed!

> The BIOS is socketed.
>
> This is a good thing!

I just need to grab a PLCC32 puller and another 2+MB chip.  Sources on the
chip?  I will try to order one tomorrow.

> Please forgive me if I haven't
> > followed protocol here - newbie.  Are there pre-built packages/payloads
> for
> > me?  I want the full LinuxBIOS and plan to buy a larger EEPROM of at
> least
> > 2MB in size.
> >
> > Google has been of little help to me.  I am glad to see support for the
> > Gigabyte board and I am looking into possibly getting one later for
> another
> > machine.
>
> > Also, what about support for the G stepping AM2 CPU's?
>
> I don't know. Someone else has to answer this question.

I got your other response to this, thanks.

What Super I/O is on your board? (look for ITE, Winbond, or something
> similar, see http://linuxbios.org/Supported_Chipsets_and_Devices).

I have an ITE IT8716F-S Super I/O chip.  Looks like it is fully supported.

Do you have a null-modem cable for serial debugging output?

Yes, I have a null modem cable and a laptop that I can use to run any O/S
needed

Uwe.
> --
> http://www.hermann-uwe.de  | http://www.holsham-traders.de
> http://www.crazy-hacks.org | http://www.unmaintained-free-software.org

I look forward to hearing back from you and having the chance to help on
such a great project as this one.  I will do whatever I can to help!  I have
very basic programming skills in C++ but am a little rusty and so could
probably not contribute to the code but testing I should be able to do no
problem.  I understand hardware / software pretty well and I am a long time
Linux user.

Thank you for your response and your time,

Jonathan King