[LinuxBIOS] LinuxTag Berlin 29/5-2/6

Luc Verhaegen libv at skynet.be
Sat May 26 01:53:32 CEST 2007

On Fri, May 25, 2007 at 10:38:48PM +0200, Peter Stuge wrote:
> On Fri, May 25, 2007 at 06:39:20PM +0200, Luc Verhaegen wrote:
> > > an EPIA/-M/-MII workshop on Saturday 2/6
> >
> > Hrm, makes me wish i had already finished the direct unichrome
> > support for it.
>
> ..instead of using the VGA BIOS, right?

Indeed. No more messing about with that.

> > Tell people it's in the works, that it runs np from userspace,
> > but that it needs further work integrating in linuxbios.
> > I'm pretty much stuck until halfway june, though.
>
> Aye.
>
> How does davem's viafb fit into the picture?

Is this the one that's based on the register document i wrote up in
2004? I don't know, never used it. It won't work properly without the
VGA BIOS though.

> I used the VGA BIOS and built a viafb kernel for my EPIA-MII last
> time I was using the board and got good graphics out of it. No X
> though.
>
> Is viafb at all useful for running X.org?
> Which version of X.org is good for users?
> (Assuming LinuxBIOS+VGA BIOS)

I don't know if it is useful, last time i used X on fb, the MGA G450 was
still recent.

You can use my xf86-video-unichrome directly, with no VGA BIOS, it'll
run just like normal. Just make sure you get the git version. Any X will
do too.

Luc Verhaegen.