[LinuxBIOS] mkelfImage - how to use the resultant image?

Peter Stuge peter at stuge.se
Mon Nov 12 06:30:30 CET 2007

On Sun, Nov 11, 2007 at 07:53:25PM -0800, Baski wrote:
> I used mkElfImage ver 2.7 to create a single bootable elf image
> with this syntax
>
>  sudo mkelfImage --command-line="ro root=/dev/hd1 quiet splash console=tty0 console=ttyS0,115200n8" --kernel=/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.20-16-generic --initrd=/boot/initrd.img-2.6.20-16-generic --output=/boot/linuxTest_2.6-generic.elf
>
> The resultant image is about 8MB (ubuntu). Because of the size I
> think we cannot flash it on the bios chip.
> How do I use this image in linuxbios to boot the OS?  Not finding
> much documentaion on this. Currently I'm using FILO as my payload.

mkelfImage is mainly used in two cases:

1. tiny kernel and tiny initrd in flash chip
2. booting from network with etherboot/gpxe

Since you are using FILO, you do not need to create an elf image,
FILO is able to load both kernel and initrd from the storage media
directly.

The image that is supposed to be flashed is probably called
linuxbios.rom and is generated after you have run buildtarget
followed by make in the appropriate directory below
LinuxBIOSv2/targets/

Hope this helps.

//Peter