[LinuxBIOS] FILO with the USB

Jordan Crouse jordan.crouse at amd.com
Fri Nov 16 23:21:38 CET 2007

On 17/11/07 00:09 +0200, Fridel Fainshtein wrote:
> Usb boot loader would be just a nice feature to have in an existent application.
>
> Why should one use "tiny kernel + kexec", if there are such a wonderful things
> like linuxbios and filo?

Well, first and foremost, because the tiny kernel already knows how to do
everything we need - it understands the devices, it can talk the protocols,
it can grok the filesystems - it would take man years (decades even) to
accomplish that level of support in any other payloads we might have a
fancy to write.

Don't get me wrong - FILO and GRUB2 and all the other payloads are great.
But they are built for a specific task - and if a feature you want isn't
there, then you should look elsewhere. Nothing can compete with a LAB
solution to "get it working now".

Jordan