[LinuxBIOS] FILO with the USB

Vlad vladc6 at yahoo.com
Sat Nov 17 22:39:33 CET 2007

--- Stefan Reinauer <stepan at coresystems.de> wrote:
> Yes it has been done as a proof-of-concept but as far as I
> know
> Linux-as-bootloader never made it into any product (that I know of)

There are at least two "super-BIOS" implementations that rely on a
tiny Linux kernel loaded from Flash ROM:

1) SplashTop by ASUS (http://SplashTop.com)
Source code, including kernel patches, are downloadable:

2) Hyperspace by Phoenix Technologies:

Both of these run X.org, so I'm sure we'd need even less flash storage
for a text-mode interface.

The Linux-tiny project maintained by Sony also has patches to reduce
kernel size: