[LinuxBIOS] patch for geodelx in arch/x86

ron minnich rminnich at gmail.com
Tue Nov 27 17:52:13 CET 2007

On Nov 27, 2007 8:51 AM, Jordan Crouse <jordan.crouse at amd.com> wrote:
> On 27/11/07 08:28 -0800, ron minnich wrote:
> > add one debug print, move all smbus_read_byte to spd_read_byte.
>
> Sorry, I didn't catch this before.  I think this might be a bad move -
> smbus isn't just for reading spd anymore.  There are thermal sensors,
> GPIO extenders and other things out there that we might need to get on
> top of.  We've already seen this in v2 with OLPC - we needed SMBUS to
> talk to the display.

I'm not really removing smbus stuff at all. but the ram stuff should
use spd_read_byte, so you can fake it out as I am doing on alix1c and
as we have done on other platforms.

So if you are doing stuff that is spd-related, you really should use
spd_read_byte, since some systems don't even have an smbus.

If you are doing smbus stuff, by all means use smbus functions.

Make sense? Did I do the wrong file or something?

[note: IIRC, you're the guy who told me to use a fake spd function --
you or Marc :-)]

ron