[LinuxBIOS] v3: convert stage2 to multi-segment LAR

Carl-Daniel Hailfinger c-d.hailfinger.devel.2006 at gmx.net
Tue Nov 27 18:01:20 CET 2007

On 27.11.2007 17:29, ron minnich wrote:
> On Nov 27, 2007 8:33 AM, Jordan Crouse <jordan.crouse at amd.com> wrote:
>

>> Also, I would abandon the use of .o naming in the LAR - that will drive
>> others (like me) off course thinking an object file is living in the
>> LAR, which is not the case.
>>

> your summary is correct. And, we should change the name. Carl-daniel,
> suggestions?

Yes. How about:
old way: normal/stage2.o/segment0 normal/stage2.o/segment1
new 1: normal/stage2/seg0 normal/stage2/seg1
new 2: normal/stage2/0 normal/stage2/1

I prefer having seg in the name to make it obvious that these are
segments. Together with a function
  void *load_all_segments(struct mem_file *archive, char *filename)
which returns the entry point and is called like this from stage1:
  entry = load_all_segments(&archive, "normal/stage2");
handling should get a lot easier. Basically, people should not have to
care about segments.

Regards,
Carl-Daniel